61% of single men aged 18-34 have no girlfriend; 49% of women unattached: survey

December 2nd, 2011By Category: News

A survey conducted by the National Institute of Population and Social Security Research revealed that 61.4% of single men aged 18-34 do not have a girlfriend and that 49% of single women in the same age range do not have a boyfriend.

The institute, which is part of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, conducts the survey every five years. It released the results of its latest survey, conducted in 2010, on its website at the end of November.

The survey was given to 14,000 unmarried people, asking them multiple-choice questions about their opinions on marriage. Among the main reasons given by both men and women for not being married were: “I don’t know how to start a relationship with a member of the opposite sex,” I don’t want to lose my independence,” and “I don’t have enough money to get married.”

However, more than 80% of both male and female respondents said they would like to get married at some stage “if they can find someone suitable.”

Tags: , ,

Author of this article

GaijinPot

GaijinPot is an online community for foreigners living in Japan, providing information on everything you need to know about enjoying life here, from finding a job and accommodation to having fun.

Related articles that may interest you

  • Cock

    Pretty sure a single person is a person without a relationship.

    100% of all single men/women do not have a boyfriend/girlfriend.

  • Ratfark

    61.4% of “single” men? Careful with your description there. I think 100% of all single men don’t have a girlfriend. Oh you meant 61.4% of men.

  • Single man

    61% of SINGLE men don’t have a girlfriend? The other 39% of SINGLE men have girlfriends? Something about this doesn’t add up. By “single” did you mean “unmarried”?

  • Eoghan Ui Raghaile

    Wait, eh.. am I missing the humour here? 
    “61.4% of single men aged 18-34 do not have a girlfriend” 
    Yeah.. must be a joke.
    Damnit I feel like I’ve just been tricked by the onion or something! (Not that that’s ever happened!)

  • Timothy Klanderud

    Sounds about right, I really didn’t
    started dating till after college and began to establish myself which
    was around 30 years old and I am from the US.  I don’t think it’s nothing to worry about.
    Just remain focus on your studies and be the best One can be. 

  • Imontoyou

    It’s not suprising…. It is Japan we are talking about here.
    Just look at all their strange and wonderful things both genders can have in order not to need a relationship with the opposite sex…..

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_7CWLR2M7THXTWNP6QNCH5TLLPY Lou

    “I don’t want to lose my independence,” and “I don’t have enough money to get married.”

    At least they have a grasp of the emotional and financial reality of marriage, rather than running into it just for the sake of the milestone.

  • The Big L

    what? I assume you’re using the word “single” to mean “unmarried”?

  • Timothy Klanderud

    Sounds about right, I really didn’t started dating till after college and began to establish myself which was around 30 years old and I am from the US. I don’t think it’s nothing to worry about. Just remain focus on your studies and be the best One can be.

Find your job in Japan.

Create resumes, apply to jobs, get head hunted by employers.

GO!
LATEST JOBS LISTINGS

Useful Japan services you may like

Sponsors

Top