Splish, Splash I was takin’ a bath

March 16th, 2009By Category: Culture, Travel

Akie blog3Oooh!  Hello there.  Didn’t know people were watching.  Oh, that’s right it’s time for me to talk about the wonders of Akita and the secrets of Akita Bijin. Well, if you don’t know by now, Akita is on the northwest coast of Japan’s main island of Honshu (part of the Tohoku Area); and Akita Bijin are the legendary beautiful ladies that inhabit Akita.  There are many wonders to Akita, and it’s Bijin.  I’ll be sharing these with you.

That said, let me tell you about where I am, and who I’m with. We’re bathing in one of the greatest wonders of Akita – onsens.  “What’s an onsen?” you may be asking.  An onsen is a natural hot spring; water heated from the central flames that heat the Earth.  The fires from the Earth’s core mix with minerals and elements in the Earth’s various layers and eventually burst through the ground to create natural springs.  Here in Japan we have mastered the practice of harnessing these enriched waters in order to use for common purpose.  These natural forces have shaped Japan for centuries so the people have become very very good at dealing with Mother Nature and the way she works.

Okay, so enough with the technical stuff about onsens.  I’m sure you can look that stuff up in an encyclopedia….Oh, I’m sorry, I’ve been talking for so long, and almost forgot to introduce my friend, Akiko.  Of course she’s another Bijin.  And she loves onsens as well.  She’ll tell you a bit more about onsens. “Hello, everyone.  I’m Akiko, and Akie and I are best friends and we really love going to onsens.  As she told you these waters have been enriched by the very core, and the things that make up this planet.  So as long as they are around, onsens will be around.  Great news for us Bijin because these magic waters are a secret to our beauty.  Some onsens are touted as being essential for healthy skin. “Soak for a few minutes then get out to let the water seep into your pores, then get back in for another soak, and repeat until you feel refreshed and pure.

Make sure to take a shower before you enter the bath. Actually  the bath is not for cleaning yourself, but for soaking.  Also, for the ladies out there, you don’t have to go in unclothed.  Akie and I like that style, but feel free to wear a bathing towel.  You can also do what I’m doing and put the towel on your head.  You will often see men do this, but anyone can really do it. “Oh, when you get out you should rinse off with a nice refreshing shower.  Some onsens have different minerals that might make your skin feel itchy and stuff.  Not all onsens smooth out your skin.  Some are actually good for treating other ailments.  Throughout Japan some onsens have been designated ‘onsen hospitals.’  That’s right, hospitals that where the part of the treatment is to take a bath in these delicious waters; maybe even drinking them.  That said, make sure to talk with you doctor before drinking onsen water.  Remember this stuff comes from the heart of the Earth. “Well, I’ve talked for long enough, and I think it’s time for Akie and I to get out.

Too much of anything can be bad, so be careful about how long you spend in a bath at any one time.  Until next time, see you later.” Wow, she can really talk.  Didn’t know she had so much to say about onsens.  I guess she really loves them.  Akita has some great ones, some of the greatest.  In my last talk I mentioned Tsurunoyu.  It’s Japan’s greatest onsen.  Been around for a long long time, and the water is pristine.  I love it.  And just like Akiko said, it is good for healing your body.  I’m no doctor, but I know that a good soak in its waters takes my stress away.  Along with the natural surroundings, I can’t help but be stress free.

Anyway, I must get going.  Like Akiko said, too much of a good thing can be bad.  Too much water caused Princess Tatsuko to turn into a dragon.  I don’t want that!  Akita Bijin are helped to stay beautiful by the natural water that surrounds us.  We must keep this harmony otherwise we will turn into dragons, and cease to be appealing to the eyes, hearts and souls of those around us. akie-akitabijin.blogspot.com

Author of this article

Malcolm Ernst

Related articles that may interest you

Comments

• AETF says:

Wow, that sounds a lot harsher on a second read. Let me just say Tim appears to be a very civil and decent guy, so I apologize for coming off like a real… jerk. But hey, now the blog is on top for most comments. 😉

• AETF says:

• AETF says:

David

If I were looking to start some fight, I wouldn’t do it on the internet. I had no intention of being a troll. I simply think the illustrations here are edging on perverse and the story inane. You’re welcome to criticize anything I write, as is this blog’s author. So don’t tell me where I can post my comments ever again.

• AETF says:

David

• david says:

Tim & Malcolm,

Great idea for a blog guys. I’m looking forward to seeing some more new pictures Tim!

AETF, troll elsewhere.

• david says:

Tim & Malcolm,

AETF, troll elsewhere.

• AETF says:

Tim… Malcolm… whichever one you prefer to go by… I have only one question for you: Really?

I don’t mean to sound like a jerk, but is this really your blog? Is this supposed to be a story? If it is, it’s a bit creepy. Do you like to fancy yourself a young girl with an ample bust that likes to hang out with her similarly built female companion in onsens?

Also, I’m not sure you know the meaning of “technical”. “The fires from the Earth’s core mix with minerals and elements in the Earth’s various layers and eventually burst through the ground to create natural springs.” So “fire” becomes “natural springs” in our magical Akita Bijin world?

And Tim, aren’t you an English “teacher”? I’ve seen your ads in Student Times (I’m a teacher too). I sure hope you aren’t teaching your students to use all the incorrect grammar in your “blog”.

• AETF says:

• Felipe says:

Do you know Tamagawa onsen? From Akita-shi, it takes about 2 hours by car. It’s difficult to explaine but you will know the power of this planet.

• Felipe says:

Work
in
Japan

Search the Largest English Job Board in Japan.

Find a Job Now!

Find Your
Apartment
in Japan

10,000’s of properties available today!

Search